Church: Withee, Wis., Methodist Church Dedication (1955)
Surnames: Irish, Cron, Shaw, Mentges
----Source: OWEN ENTERPRISE (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 03/31/1955
Special dedicatory services will be held at the Methodist Church in Withee (Clark Co., Wis.) on Palm Sunday, April 3rd, 1955. Bishop H. Clifford Northcott will be the presiding clergyman at the dedication of the church to the glory of God.
The church was built and dedicated in May 1902 under the direction of the Congregationalists. But, in 1915 the parish was transferred to the Methodists. Succeeding ministers have faithfully led the church through the years. Amongst these were Rev. James Irish, now passed on, Rev. George Cron, who preached here at the midweek Lenten service on the 17th of March, and is now pastor at Jim Falls; and the Reverends Lelan and Ella Shaw.
Under the ministry of these two faithful servants the church emerged from a dark period in its history into the glorious light of divine blessing. The church was remodeled, including a new entrance ceiling, in addition to other major improvement with the cause going on from strength to strength.
Now under the pastorate of the Rev. Cecil Ward, the work continues to progress, the membership is increasing, and a new hope has arisen in the fellowship.
Of the original charter members, Mrs. Kathryn Mentges, is the only survivor, and at the grand old age of 92 is still a loyal and regular attendant at the services.
At eight o’clock on Palm Sunday the Methodist Bishop, H. Clifford Northcott, will rededicate the church to the glory of God. There will be a number of visiting ministers, including the District Superintendent, Rev. A. Henry; Rev. William Mecklenburg, and the Rev. Lelan Shaw, and others to support him.
The public is invited to attend the gathering.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs