BioA: Braatz, Henry & Edith (50th - 1909)
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
----Source: (Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wis. (October 28, 2009, Page 18 )
Braatz, Henry & Edith (50th - 29 SEP 1909)
Henry Braatz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Braatz, was married to Edith Kurzrok, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Kurzrok, in Zion Lutheran Church, Town of Grant on September 29, 1909. The Rev. Jacob Reiff officiated. Arthur Braatz now of Milwaukee and Miss Flora Kurzrok, now of Racine, attended the bridal couple.
Henry Braatz was born December 25, 1877, in the Town of Grant, at the residence known for many years as "the Carl Braatz home," and now owned by Clarence Braatz. Mrs. Henry (Edith) Braatz was born October 4, 1881, in Burlington. Mrs. Braatz came to Clark County in 1907 and, in partnership with her sister, Flora, operated a millinery store in Granton. Mr. Braatz, before his marriage, was a builder and for several years built homes and farm buildings throughout southern and central Clark County, building as many as six houses per year.
Houses still standing, constructed under his supervision and labor, include the John Diethrich residence where the Dale Short family now lives, the Herman Braatz residence where the Victor Bratz family now resides, the Julius Lautenbach residence now occupied by the Hubert Dudei family, and the George Howard, Norman Braatz, Glen Short, Ted Beilke, Bill Schmidt and Al Nonhof houses.
After their marriage the couple took up farming one-fourth mile south of Kurth corners, on a farm, now owned by Walter Reber. They lived there for 36 years. In 1945 they moved to Neillsville, purchasing the former Joseph Counsell residence from Mrs. Nina (Counsell) Olia, where they have lived since.
They have two children: Leonard, now living with his wife and three daughters in Milwaukee; and Roberta Davis of Watertown.
Mr. and Mrs. Braatz were members of Zion Lutheran Church in Grant from 1909 to 1945 and of St. John’s Evangelical Church in Neillsville since 1945.
Mrs. Braatz has spent much of her leisure time as a seamstress. Mr. Braatz has fished since he was strong enough to carry a fishing pole and has been an active hunter since he was 12 years old. While a resident of the Town of Grant, he cleared 35 acres in Grant and Lynn, in addition to carrying on the work at his farm.
When 16 years of age, his father presented him with a heavy Winchester .40-82 rifle and the first year he brought down a large bear and four deer. Since that time, down to 1958, he hunted deer, small game and did considerable fishing each year.
A room in his home on Oak Street displays some of his marksmanship. They include many deer trophies. In the early days neighbors got together and camped in the deer country during hunting. He usually went southeast, near the East Fork of the Black River. A picture in his living room shows nine hunters and nine deer. Henry is pictured with Alvin Eisentraut, Chris Feutz, Herman and Carl Braatz and other residents of Southern Clark County.
"We usually hung the deer up in the woods where we shot them," said Mr. Braatz, "and then drove around and gathered them up the last day of hunting. No one ever stole a deer. The law of the hunt gave the man who did the shooting the title to his kill."
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs