Bio: DeLap Family (History of Abbotsford)
Surnames: DeLap, Roter, Douglas, Taft, Young, Zastrow, Crockett, Jackson, Rusk, McTaggert
----Source: Abbotsford Tribune
(Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) 08/05/1954
Mr. DeLap moved his family to Abbotsford
in 1895, where they first lived in the Roter house. He worked as
night agent for the Wisconsin Central Railroad, and a few years
later, as cashier. He then went to work in the post office, under
M. H. Douglas, the postmaster at that time. Mr. DeLap became
postmaster Jan. 12, 1909, having received his appointment during
the William Howard Taft administration. During his residence in
Abbotsford, he served at times as village constable, superintendent
of a Sunday school, member of the village library board, the school
board, he was master of the Masonic lodge, and often sang in the
The house on Second Street, now owned by
Mrs. Viola Rusk, was built in the early 1900’s for Dr. J. D.
Jackson, a dentist, who sold it to Mr. DeLap when he moved to
Indianapolis in 1908. Before Dr. J. D. Jackson arrived in
Abbotsford, Dr. McTaggert’s dental office was in the upstairs
of the Young building over the post office.
Claude Crockett arrived in Abbotsford
just before the turn of the century, to take over the job of
operator in the railroad office. He returned to the general office
of the railroad in Milwaukee in 1902. It was during his first stay
in Abbotsford that he met and married Miss Lottie DeLap. In 1905,
he returned to Abbotsford and soon was promoted to train
dispatcher, a job he held until his retirement several years
Elizabeth, after graduation from high
school, was employed in the insurance and automobile agency of A.
J. Young. She worked in the post office for her father and some
years later was employed by the Soo Line as operator from 4:00 to
12:00 o’clock. Miss Clara Zastrow had the day trick from 8:00
to 4:00 o’clock.
*** Note: The beginning of the article was cut off and was not available at the time of transcription.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs