Bio: Kieser Family (History of Abbotsford)
Surnames: Wing, Kieser, Habeck, Gibson, Allar, Silegh
----Source: Abbotsford Tribune
(Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) 07/29/1954
History of Abbotsford - The Kieser Family
By F. B. Wing
Ludwig Kieser, of German parentage, was
born in Poland, from where he moved to a small place, in White
Russia, not far from the city of Kiev. He left the Ukraine for
America in 1899, and landed in Canada. After one year, he left for
the United States and located at Athens, where he found day work in
the lumber industry. He purchased three acres of land, with a small
house and barn, on the outskirts of Athens, bought a few cows and
later added 13 acres to his holdings.
After working four years in the mills, he
sent for his family. After their arrival, he sold the little farm,
purchased two lots, east of the village, and built a fine home,
where his wife still lives, at the age of 88 years.
Gottlieb Gustave Kieser, a barber in
Abbotsford, was born in Russia, Dec. 28, 1890. Between the ages of
6 and 12 he was farmed out to herd cattle for a neighbor. The first
year he received three roubles and the most he received for this
was 12 roubles, when he was 12.
G. G. Kieser was married to Miss Stella
Habeck, of Athens, in 1925. She is a member of a large family, six
boys and six girls, all living.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
G. G. Kieser: Frederick, Donald, Dennis, Dorothy, Marilyn, Doris,
Carol, Myriel and Marjorie. Six of the children are graduates of
the Abbotsford High School. Frederick is a manager of the O. &
N. Lumber Company at Dorchester. Donald was married on July 17, and
works for Danielson Dry Cleaners. Marilyn and Dorothy are employed
in the office of the Abbotsford Hardware Store. Dorothy is also
organist in the Lutheran church. Myriel has a paper route,
delivering the Marshfield News-Herald. Her sister, Marjorie, ten
years old, helps out at times. Doris, the only member of the family
living away from Abbotsford, is employed in a theatre at Melrose,
but manages to get home for a visit three or four times a
Mr. Kieser came here to work for Tom Gibson in 1925, and purchased the barber shop 19 years ago. He owns his own home on Second Street, a brick structure built by Casper Silegh, and once owned by Jake Allar. Mr. Kieser has followed the barber business for *** Note: The rest of the article was cut off and was not available at the time of transcription.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs