Bio: Meyers Family and the Corner Store (History of Abbotsford)
Surnames: Wing, Cook,
Maguire, Roter, Meyers, Chase
Tribune (Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) 02/19/1953
Written by F. B.
From the Colby
Phonograph, Dec. 18, 1881:
B. A. Cook sold his store
at Abbotsford to J. A. Roter & Company (the & Company being
R. W. Maguire, paymaster of the Central Co.). Mr. Roter, who has
full charge of the store, recently of Pennsylvania, is a gentleman
of excellent business qualities and we believe he will do a
splendid business at the junction. We looked over the store
Saturday and found everything in apple pie order.
The Meyers Family and the
The Roter store, the
first in Abbotsford, now better known as the Corner store, surely
spans a big part of Abbotsford’s history - Meyers &
Chase, then A. J. Meyers, the Bootzin Store, the Foodland Store,
the Clover Farm Store and the Red and White Store.
Coming to Abbotsford from
Weyauwega, in 1890, Mr. Meyers worked for L. A. Roter in the south
half of the present store building. Mr. Roter sold the store to
Frank M. Chase, also of Weyauwega, and later of Dorchester, in
1897. Mr. Meyers continued as manager.
A partnership was formed
shortly after the north half of the building was built and the firm
name became Meyers & Chase, general merchandise, during the
year 1900. The new addition housed the shoes, hardware and
furniture lines. This partnership also owned and operated a
warehouse on the west side of present side-track to the White House
From this warehouse,
flour, feed, potatoes, coal, lime, cement, sash and door frames,
were bought and sold. Carloads of hay, potatoes, pulpwood, and
bolts were loaded in cars for shipments to points south. When
people talk of the good old days, and the long, tough
winters. The wall above the back door in the corner store had
a sign with this notation: Peter Bark hauled a load of bolts to
town on a sled, May 8, 1904. With 12 bolts on a sled, plenty of
snow was needed.
The sale of the land for the condensery side, deprived Mr. Meyers of his garden, which was his hobby. He then purchased a farm east of town and continued gardening. He truly had a green thumb, evidenced by the baskets of produce harvested. One would often see him working in his garden long *** Note: The rest of the article was cut off and was not available at the time of transcription.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs