Bio: Anderson, Charles G. (History of Abbotsford)
Surnames: Wing, Anderson, Grant, Miltimore, Suhy, Karlstrom
----Source: Abbotsford Tribune
(Abbotsford, Clark County, Wis.) 11/06/1952
Written by F. R. Wing
Charles G. Anderson
In 1897, while still employed on the
railroad, he purchased a tract of land one and a quarter miles east
of Abbotsford on what is now Highway 29. This tract, which was to
become his home, was originally a part of the lands granted to the
Wisconsin Central Railroad under a patent approved by President U.
S. Grant. This particular parcel was acquired from the Wisconsin
Central by D. O. Miltimore, of Dorchester, on Oct. 6, 1878, and in
turn sold by him to John Suhy Nov. 11, 1880. Miltimore paid the
railroad $577.00 for it and sold it to Suhy for $245.00, an
indication that he had logged off the original stand of pine
John Suhy cleared the first land on this
tract and built a set of log buildings. In those days, the forest
was virtually worthless, except for pine, and to clear the land,
trees were often cut, rolled into huge piles and burned. This was
heavy hardwood and hemlock timber.
Excepting for the small clearing made by
Suhy, the land was still in virgin forest in 1897, only a few
scattered pines having been cut on this tract in the original
logging. Anderson removed the log buildings and the following year
built an eight room, story and a half frame house, which
subsequently became the family home.
Two years later, in 1900, he made a visit
to the old country and on his return, was accompanied by Ador
Karlstrom and his sister, Hilda Karlstrom, to whom Mr. Anderson was
engaged. On April 6, 1901, they were married in Marshfield and
shortly thereafter moved into their new home on the farm east of
Although the early stage of pioneering was past at that time much hard *** Note: The rest of the article was cut off and was not available at the time of transcription.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs