BioA: Ciokiewicz, Joseph (1951)
Surnames: Ciokiewicz, Dziedzic, Czewiycwski
----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 06/28/1951
Ciokiewicz, Joseph (9 JUN 1951)
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Ciokiewicz observed their golden wedding anniversary in a service held at St. Mary’s Church, Stanley, Saturday, June 9th, 1951, and at their home in Stanley.
The couple was married in Warsaw, Poland, 50 years ago, and came to America in 1903.
Mr. Ciokiewicz served eight years in the Russian army, receiving 35 cents a month for his service. Out of this sum, he was required to buy his own soap to keep his uniform spotless for a strict inspection. If they did not pass inspection, the soldiers were required to pass between 15 men line up in two rows. The penalized person was hit with fists as he walked through as punishment.
Although Mr. Ciokiewicz’s uniform was spotless, he is deaf in one ear from having walked thru the line, the penalty for serving cold coffee to his commander who was late for breakfast.
Mrs. Ciokiewicz worked in the grain fields for ten cents a day, the wage paid to the best workers. Her husband, a carpenter, fared better than most soldiers, making cedar chests and other articles for the officers. But when he returned to his carpenter shop in Warsaw, which he had left at one day’s notice, he found only a post left. Structures of empty buildings in Poland were torn apart and used for fuel by the women of the country.
Coming to America, the couple settled on a farm in Thorp (Clark Co., Wis.). Mr. Ciokiewicz has built 26 barns in the Thorp area, assisted with the shingling by his wife. He is 78 and his wife is 68 years old.
The couple have eight children, Tony, Owen; John, Green Bay; Nick and George, both of Riolinda, Calif.; Frank, Stanley; Mrs. Frank Dziedzic, Chicago; Mrs. Tom Czewiycwski and Joe, both of Chicago.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs