History: York Center, Clark Co., Wisconsin
Surnames: Wilcox, Hoesly, Dahl, Turner, Paulson, Benedict, Laurence, Witte, Linsley
----Source: Greenwood Public Library, original copy owned by Jean Rolstad
York Center, Clark Co., Wisconsin History
York Center, formerly known as Wilcox, was named after Silas Wilcox who was foreman of a logging camp located on the farm now owned by Clarence Hoesly. It was the O'Neil Creek and wings of the darn still remain. At onetime, this settlement was a thriving community consisting of a telephone office, general store, woodman halt, church, skimming station, post office, and school. The school was located where the Alvin Dahl home now stands. It was first school built in the town of York, and was always known as the "Old Log School". The post office is known to have been in operation as far back as 1898. Stage and horse and cutter brought mail from Neillsville, then later from Granton. George Linsley was the first stage coach driver. When he died, his son-in-law, Abe Turner, took over. This continued until the time of R.F.D.
The skimming station was located where the town garage now stands and it was owned by Ross Paulson. It burned in 1910. The store, which changed hands different times, was once owned by Adonijah Benedict who at that time also established the post office in his home. Later he sold the store to William E. Benedict, his grandson, whose family operated the telephone switchboard which was installed in 1907. Mr. Benedict sold the store to Melvin Laurence, who sold it to H. E. Witte.
It is said that Wilcox first came to be called York Center when Ed Boight put up a sign near the middle of the town of York saying, "this way to York Center".
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs