Bio: Segar / Seger, George F. (1846 - aft 1922)
Contact: Gerald Gorsegner
Surnames: Seiger, Segar, Seger, Foster, Price, Hardenbergh
-------Source: 1881 History of Northern Wisconsin
GEORGE F. SEGER, hotel, farmer and stock raiser, Hixton, is a native of New London, Canada West, born March 15, 1846. In 1858, he came to Wisconsin with his parents, settling in Waukesha County, where he lived until 1866, being engaged with a surveying party on western railroads. In 1869 moved to Green Bay, Wis., where he was for several years employed by N. C. Foster, as general manager of his lumber business, and in 1873 started a boot and shoe store at the same place. At this he continued till 1877, when he removed to Hixton, Jackson Co., and bought the farm on which he now lives. Mr. Seger also bought in a mercantile store, with James Ice as partner, at the same time buying for himself the Hixton mill, from Steward & Hoffman, continuing to run it until October. 1880, when he sold out to William T. Price. He then started in his present business, hotel keeping; he is a member of I. O. O. F., Hixton Lodge, No. 249. On Oct. 31, 1874, was joined in matrimony to Miss Sarah J. Hardenbergh. She was born in New York in 1851, and was a graduate of Madison University, in the class of 1871. Their family consists of three children — Mary E., Georgia H. and Sarah H.
*Sarah (Hardenberg) Segar died in 1936 in California and is buried in the Riverside Cemetery Riverside Co., Calif.
1860 Federal Census, Pewaukee, Waukesha, Wisconsin, pg. 109, family 812
Segar, Michael, 50 yrs., b. 1810 NY
Segar, Mary Ann, 37 yrs., b. 1823, New Brunswick, Canada
Segar, Frances, 17 yrs., b. 1843 Canada
Segar, George, 14 yrs. b. 1846, Canada
1870 Federal Census, Buena Vista, Richland Co., Wisconsin, pg. 19
Hardenberg, white, female
David Hardenberg M 61y New York, dealer, estate: $1,000, personal: $3,000
Maria Hardenberg F 53y New York, keeping house
Gertrude Hardenberg F 24y Ohio, School teacher
Charles Hardenberg M 21y New York, United States, Civil Engineer
Sarah J Hardenberg F 19y New York
Belle Hardenberg F 16y Indiana, teaching school
David Hardenberg M 13y Wisconsin
Rosa Hardenberg F 11y Wisconsin
Henrietta Hardenberg F 8y Wisconsin, United States
1900 Federal Census, ED 208 Precinct 5 Riverside city, Riverside, California, United States, pg. 10, family 226
Seger, white, married female
father's birthplace: New York
mother's birthplace: New York
mother how many children: 6
number living children: 6
head George F Seger M 54 (Mar 1846) Canada Eng
wife Sarah J Seger F 49 (Feb 1851) New York
daughter Isabel Seger F 25 (Sep 1875) Wisconsin
daughter Georgia H Seger F 23 (Apr 1877) Wisconsin
daughter Helen Seger F 21 (Jun 1879) Wisconsin
daughter Gertrude H Seger F 14 (Jun 1886) Wisconsin
daughter Dorothy Seger F 9 (Jul 1891) California
daughter Josephine Seger F 17 (May 1883) Wisconsin
1910 Federal Census, Riverside Ward 1, Riverside, California, pg. 11, family 204
Sager, white, married male
father's birthplace: New York
mother's birthplace: Canada English
self George F Sager M 64y Canada English
wife Sarah H Sager F 59y New York
daughter Josephine M Sager F 26y Wisconsin
daughter Gertrude H Sager F 23y Wisconsin
daughter Dorothy H Sager F 15y California
THE HISTORY OF RIVERSIDE, CALIFORNIA--MUNICIPAL RECORDS; By E. W. Holmes, 1912, (excerpts only) transcribed by Joy Fisher firstname.lastname@example.org
Riverside voted to incorporate as a city of the Sixth class September 25, 1883, with a territory of over fifty-six square miles and an assessed valuation of $1,099,041. Although the area included has recently been reduced by the secession of the Alvord school district, the population of the city in 1912 is fully 18,000 and the assessed valuation $10,394,355. The following is a list of the officials who have served the city since its incorporation: The trustees chosen to organize the new city government were B. F. White, president; H. B. Haynes, A. J. Twogood, A. B. Derby and B. B. Handy. At the regular election, held in April, 1884, Messrs. White, Handy and Twogood were re-elected with two new members, Martin Hoover and W. P. Eussell. President White died shortly after from the result of an accident which occurred while he was engaged on official business, and O. T. Johnson was appointed in his place as president. Upon the resignation of A. J. Twogood, E. W. Holmes was appointed as his successor. The membership of the board of trustees during the municipality's existence as a city of the sixth class has been as follows: From 1886 to '88 H. M. Streeter (president), E. W. Holmes, W. A. Hayt, William P. Russell and Martin Hoover. From 1888 to '90 E. W. Holmes (president), Martin Hoover, W. A. Hayt, William P. Eussell and H. E. Allatt. From 1890 to '92 Aberdien Keith (president), Albert S. White, Alfred A. Wood, Martin Hoover and H. E. Allatt. From 1892 to '94 Aberdien Keith (president), Albert S. White, Alfred A. Wood, George Frost and E. F. Kingman. From 1894 to '96 George Frost (president), E. F. Kingman, H. W. Bordwell, Bradford Morse and John A. Simms. From 1896 to '98 E. F. Kingman (president), Bradford Morse, Seneca LaRue, John A. Simms and H. W. Bordwell. From 1898 to 1900 E. F. Kingman (president), Bradford Morse, Seneca La Eue, L. V. W. Brown and W. L. Peters. From 1900 to 1902 Bradford Morse (president), L. V. W. Brown, W. L. Peters, J. W. Covert and C. L. McFarland. From 1902 to 1904 C. L. McFarland (president), J. W. Covert, J. W. Chase, Oscar Ford and J. T. Lawler. From 1904 to May 14, 1907, C. L. McFarland (president), Oscar Ford, J. T. Lawler, George F. Ward and J. W. Chase.
Those who have filled the position of city clerk are T. H. B. Chamblin, three years; A. S. Alkire, six years; W. W. Phelps, six years; Charles R. Stibbens, nine years. City treasurer: B. D. Burt, three years; J. M. Drake, eight years; M. S. Bowman, four years; George F. Ward, four years; John C. Stebbens, two years; F. A. Witherspoon, two years; N. A. Jacobs, one year. City marshal: W. W. Noland, three years; J. D. Hughes, two years; Bradford Morse, four years; G. W. Dickson, two years; Frank P. Wilson, twelve years; M. R. Shaw, one year. City recorder: W. W. Noland, nine years; J. C. Chambers, four years; T. B. Stephenson, eight years. City attorney: George W. Monteith, one year; H. C. Hibbard, two years; W. J. McIntyre, four years; W. A. Purrington, fourteen years. City engineer: G. 0. Newman, J. W. Johnson and A. P. Campbell. Superintendent of streets: Charles W. Finch, T. K. Seburn, George F. Seger and J. T. Mclntyre. Health officers: Dr. E. H. Way, Dr. W. B. Sawyer, Dr. W. S. Ruby, Dr. C. J. Gill, Dr. J. G. Baird and Dr. W. W. Roblee.
At the city election of 1909 Mayor Evans was re-elected, his opponent being L. H. Edmiston. The appointed officers who served under him were: Superintendent of streets, G. T. McIntyre, George F. Seger and W. V. Darling; health officer, Dr. T. R. Griffith; chief of police, D. G. Clayton (1909) and S. C. Harbison (1910); building inspector, C. F. Mathers; fire chief, Joseph Schneider.
HISTORY OF SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTIES; Copyright, 1922; THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY, Chicago. III.
Frank A. Tetley attended the public schools of Pittsfield, and when he was fourteen years old entered the office of the Pittsfield Journal as "printer's devil." Before leaving the employ of the Journal he became known as one of the fastest compositors in the business. At the age of sixteen years Mr. Tetley entered the Chickering Business College at Pittsfield, and secured his diploma in six weeks. breaking all previous records in mathematics for the rapidity in which he completed the regular course. He assisted his father in the hotel business for a time, and then, in 1887, came to California. His decision to locate at Riverside was made after meeting Frank W. Richardson, father of the late Frank W. Richardson, Jr.. then manager of the Glenwood Tavern, whose story of the beauty of the place and perfection of the climate so fascinated the young man that he could not be content in his old home. Upon his arrival he secured the position of bookkeeper at the tavern, and held it very acceptably for three years, also discharging the duties of clerk.
So popular did the young clerk become at the tavern that Mr. Frank A. Miller, the owner, was very loath to part with him. Believing he was too good a man for such a position, Mr. Miller promoted him to the real estate office of White & Miller as clerk, and within eighteen months Mr. Tetley, with Mr. George F. Seger, bought out the old firm and formed the new one of Seger & Tetley. This association continued for three years, and then Mr. James Goodhue purchased Mr. Seger's interest and the new firm continued the business one year. Upon the retirement of Mr. Goodhue Mr. Frank A. Miller became Mr. Tetley's partner for a year, and then for ten years Mr. Tetley conducted the business alone. Branching out to include the raising of citrus nursery stock, Mr. Tetley took E. F. Kingman as an insurance partner, but within three years once more bought the business and handled it alone. During the period he was a realtor he handled many large properties and managed important deals so successfully that he was known as "Frank A. Tetley, the Half-Billion-Dollar Insurance Agent." As a real-estate agent he sold probably one-half of the business properties on Main Street, and at different times owned, himself, a number of pieces.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs