Mr./Mrs. August (60th Anniv. - 1940)
Surnames: Horner, Brandner, Scheff, Benehemann, Marx, Ergish, Umathum
----Sources: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 04/11/1940
Horner, Mr./Mrs. August (60th Anniv. - 10 Apr. 1940)
Mr. and Mrs. August Horner, residents of this section of Clark county for more than sixty years and of the city of Colby, Wisconsin since 1919, observed their 60th wedding anniversary on Wednesday. No special celebration was held. Members of the family have been at home at various times throughout the year and a reunion is usually held in the summer.
Mr. Horner was born in Manitowoc county in 1856, and Mrs. Horner, whose maiden name was Theresa Brandner, was born in Austria in 1862. On March 2, 1880, at the age of 18, she emigrated with her parents to America and they came to Stevens Point, where they lived but a short time, soon moving to Unity, where she became acquainted with Mr. Horner. They were married on April 10th, 1880.
They bought a farm, with only a few acres cleared in the town of Beaver, and lived there 15 years. Disposing of this farm, they bought a piece of forest land in the town of Green Grove, and by hard labor made a splendid farm of it. During the winter months, Mr. Horner worked in the woods, while Mrs. Horner, with the assistance of her children, operated the farm.
There are seven children, Mrs. Paul Scheff, Fond du Lac; Mrs. Rudy Benehemann, Sterling, Colo.; Mrs. Michael Marx, Kenosha; Miss Helen Horner, Colby; William and John Horner, Milwaukee; and Alvin Horner, Kenosha. There are 19 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Mr. Horner has a brother, Frank Horner, town of Beaver, and Mrs. Horner has two sisters, Mrs. Steve Ergish and Mrs. Mary Umathum of Kenosha, and two brothers, John Brandner, Stevens Point, and Matthew Brandner, in the state of Washington.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs