BioA: Schmidtke, Mr. and Mrs. William (Golden -
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
Surnames: Schmidtke, Stevens, Mallory, Welch, Garbisch, Turner, Eggleston, Zilk, Wilson
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co, WI) 6/22/1972
Schmidtke, Mr. and Mrs. William (Golden - 21 June 1972)
Mr. and Mrs. William Schmidtke, who have lived all their married years in Granton, will observed their 50th wedding anniversary Sunday, June 25, with an open house from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Granton United Methodist Church. Both Esther and William Schmidtke have been honored as outstanding citizens of their community during Granton Fall Festival celebrations.
The Schmidtkes were married June 21, 1922, in Granton at the home of the bride’s grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Lon Stevens. The Rev. Wilson Mallory was the officiating clergyman. Attendants were the couple’s brother and sister, Carolyn Schmidtke (now deceased) and Rollo Welch. Mr. Welch lived in Tennessee and is expected to be present for the anniversary observance.
Mr. Schmidtke is one of 12 children of the late Herman and Augusta Schmidtke of the Town of Fremont. He attended country schools and did farm work in Wisconsin and in North Dakota before joining the army in 1918. Wounded while on duty in France just 10 days before the November 11 Armistice was signed, he returned to Granton after his discharge and did garage work for the late Harold Garbisch.
Mrs. Schmidtke, the daughter, of the late Anson C. and Mabel (Stevens) Welch, was born in Spencer. A teacher by profession she taught three years in country schools and two years in the upper grades of the Granton school before her marriage. She returned again to teaching during the years of 1945-1947. In the intervening years, Mrs. Schmidtke continued her interests in education by serving as clerk of the Granton School board for 25 years. She has also been active in church school and music at the United Methodist Church, of which both are members.
During the early years of their marriage, Mr. Schmidtke was a bulk petroleum products distributor, having purchase the local agency from the late Joe Zilk of Neillsville. He sold the dealership in 1947, and purchased an insurance agency from the late Mrs. George Wilson in 1950. Mr. Schmidtke wrote insurance until he sold the agency and retired in 1965. A past member of the Granton Village board and a past Village treasurer, he retired from public office about five years ago.
Mrs. Schmidtke, like her husband, has also been active in civic and church affairs. She is a charter member of the Granton Women’s Civic Club, and served as its first president. A member of Royal Neighbors Fidelity Camp No. 6375 for over 50 years, she holds the office of receiver. Mrs. Schmidtke is also presidents of the United Methodist Women.
Both are in very good health and enjoy their home and flower raising activities. They take pleasure in traveling and keeping up on current events as well.
While they have no children of their own, the couple made a home for a niece and nephew and helped raise them. The nephew, Gene Turner of Rockford, Il, and his sister, Mrs. J. H. (Beverly Turner) Eggleston of Stanton, Ca, are planning the Sunday anniversary observance and will be present for the occasion together with their families.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs