Property: York Twp., Heintown Store &
PICTURES FROM THE PAST
Pictured above is the Heintown Store and Post Office. It was located where the Robert Schmidt home now stands (written in 1975), about 6 miles south of Loyal, off K on the Heintown Road.
This store was built by John and Tony Hein, near their Stave and Heading Mill which was built in 1885. A boarding house was built just east of the Mill, and this was also run by them. About seven or eight houses were also in Heintown at that time.
Mail was brought from Granton and delivered to the Heintown Post Office, three time a week.
Eggs at the store were selling for three to six cents a dozen and butter cost eight to ten cents a poind. A spool of thread sold for two cents.
Boys from South York brought cider up once in a while, it was said, and then the young folks would have quite a time. The cider cost nine cents a gallon.
Most of the labor was brought up from Jefferson County. Labor was cheap in those days. John Gotz, one of the men who worked there recalled working 11 hours a day for thirty-five cents. Some others who worked there were William Seidelman, and Joe Schmidt. Some of the wives were also brought up from Jefferson County.
When the Mill was closed down in 1898, John Hein went to Neillsville where he built the North Side Store. (It is now vacant.) Tony Hein and the boys, Pete and Thony, went north to Rusk County, where they built another mill east of Ladysmith. The small town there was then named "Tony", after Tony Hein.
Some fo the men followed to work there in the mill. One of them was John Goetz, who worked there for nine years for $1.50 a day. He was also married there.
After the Mill and Store closed in Heintown, Charles Meyer became the Postmaster for about two years. He also bought the Old Boarding House for $50 and moved it father east onto land he had purchached. The house was later moved to Loyal and is still standing.
William Seidelman bought the Store building, which he later cut in half and moved around to make an upright and eell. The Sedlemans lived there for years.
This house has more recently been torn down by Eddie Schmidt, and a new house was bilt on the site where his son and family now live.
Heintown has been recast, as has most of the other mill and lumber camps, into a dairy farming community. All that is left of those days, when this country was just getting settled, are the memories of the elderly, and the stories they have handed down. They are precious memories because we will never know those times again. (This pictue is used by courtsey from Alfred Meyer, John Goetz, and Rollie Benedict).
History: Heintown, York Twp., Clark Co., Wisconsin
----Source: Greenwood Public Library, original copy owned by Jean Rolstad
Surnames: Hein, Seitz, Schecklman, Meyer
Heintown was in an era of days gone by, but is still remembered by those who once lived near or in this village. Much has been heard of Heintown, but none was ever recorded in the history books.
Heintown was located 5 miles south of Loyal and to the west, or in Sections 5 and 8 in the township of York. It was once a bustling and thriving community with chief industry being a stave, heading, and sawmill owned and operated by John Hein and his son, Tony. This village was thriving from about 1885 until the turn of the century. While Heintown was thriving, there were many business enterprises located there, including, of course, the sawmill employing about 30 people, a general store owned also by John Hein, a boarding house operated by John Hein, a post office, blacksmith, the Crystal creamery, a cheese factory operated by the Seitz Brothers, a brick yard run by Norbert and George Sclaecklman, Charles Meyer, and George Meyer. Most of the people residing in the community lived in small tarpaper shantys along main street of Heintown, which had some wooden sidewalks. The residents had telephone service beginning in 1907, which was run from a switchboard in Wilcox, now known as York Center. Only a church and the Town hall remain of the town of Wilcox. Mail supplies were brought from Neillsville twice a week by stagecoach or supply wagon.
In about 1897, John Hein and family left Heintown for Deer Tail, a small town in Gates county nou known as Rusk county, where they continued to operate a stave, heading, and saw mill. Very few of the original buildings of Heintown remain.
Re: Property: York
Twp., Heintown Store & Post Off
Contact: Christopher Barney
Email: email@example.com 7577
Does anyone know where the original of the store photo shown here might be? I'd like to get a real photo reprint for the Wisconsin Postal History Society......thanks.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs