BioA: Cole, Mr./Mrs. Charles (Gold Anniv- 1920)
Surnames: COLE HUTTON SMITH CLARK COWAN
----Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Wis.) 01/29/1920
Cole, Mr./Mrs. Charles (Gold Anniv- 22 JAN 1920)
Thursday evening, Jan. 22, 1920, long to be remembered and looked back upon as one of the most enjoyable events in the lives of Mr. and Mrs. Charles R. Cole of this city (Colby, Wis.), it being the date of the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage.
A reception, planned by numerous friends of this estimable couple, was held in Umhoefer’s hall in the evening. About eight o’clock the invited guests began to arrive and within a short time nearly three hundred people had assemble to help them celebrate the occasion.
One of the features of the evening was the wedding ceremony performed by attorney George B. Parkhill of Abbotsford, Mr. and Mrs. John J. Grimes acting as witnesses. After the wedding ceremony dancing was indulged in and a real merry and social good time was enjoyed by all. A fine lunch, which was served by the ladies, was also one of the outstanding features of the evening. As a mater of fact, everyone was having such a good time that the hours slipped by almost unnoticed until the folks from the country began to realize that it was almost milking time. Accordingly, a halt was called and the guests departed for their respective homes, declaring that it was one of the grandest social gatherings they had ever attended and wishing Mr. and Mrs. Cole another fifty years more of happiness and contentment. The guests presented the couple with $25 in gold coins as a remembrance of the occasion.
Accompanying this announcement is a cut which is an excellent likeness of Mr. and Mrs. Cole, and, as the photograph from which it was made was taken but a few days ago, a first glance would satisfy one that they are both enjoying good health, which is true, we are pleased to say. It is needless to add that they are among the oldest and most respected of the remaining pioneers who played such an important part in the history and up-building of this community. The following short sketch of incidents and experiences during their lives will prove interesting.
Charles Rodney Cole was born in the town of Milford, Defiance Co., Ohio, on Oct. 5, 1847. His wife, whose maiden name was Sevilla Clark Smith, was born at Southport (now Kenosha, Wis.) on Feb. 18, 1846. They were married on Jan. 22, 1870, at Milford and lived there twelve years, coming to Wisconsin in April 1882, settling in the town of Wein, Marathon Co., 10 miles east and 2 miles north of Colby. The last two miles leading to their new home had to be made on foot as there was no road, save a lonely trail through the woods. Owing to the lack of educational advantages of that section in those days, Mr. Cole soon decided to moved to Colby, where he and his brother, L. K. Cole, who had just a short time before came from Brewster, Minn., went to work together doing carpenter work.
In the month of Sept. 1882, Mr. and Mrs. Cole purchased of L. D. Reynolds a house and two acres of land where now stands the residence of Frank Sill and Gust Franz. In May 1898 they sold to W. D. Bartell and bought the Bunnell farm two miles south of Colby, where they lived during the following nineteen years, until they traded their farm to Charles Schultz for his residence in the city and a money consideration. They made this place their home until last September, when they sold the property to E. O. Witt, manager of the Colby Cheese Box Company, and then purchased of Herman Wiedenhoeft what is known as the Charles Friday residence on 4th Street, where they now reside.
Of the three children born to them only one survives, Mrs. Fred Hutton, of this city. The others, Frances Cole Cowan and Arthur M., have gone before.
Those from out of town who were present at the golden wedding were: Mr. and Mrs. Walter Cook, Unity, Mr. and Mrs. Niles Parkhill and Mr. and Mrs. George B. Parkhill, Abbotsford.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs