Christofferson, Henry H. & Rickie
----Source: Clark Co., Press August, 1949.
Dr. and Mrs. Henry Herbert Christofferson of Colby celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on July 26. An open house given in their honor was held at the Colby High School gym.
The Christoffersons were married in 1899, at Waupaca, where Dr. Christofferson was born in 1875. Mrs. Christofferson's home had been in Racine, where she was born in 1876. Their wedding took place three years prior to the Doctor's graduation from St. Louis University.
Being married at that time in their lives was an adventure, for the young man was a ways from being a doctor. Yet, finances were needed for schooling plus, providing food and lodging for two people. The solution to the problem was furnished by the young bride, who was a skilled masseuse, and who applied this skill until the young man was a full-fledged doctor, ready to start practice.
Immediately upon the Doctor's graduation the young couple made their home in Loyal, where the Doctor practiced from 1902 to 1910. In 1910 they moved to Colby, where the Doctor continued to practice until 1948.
During his practice in Colby the doctor had an associate for three years, Dr. A. M. Christofferson, who in 1917 joined the army medical corps, serving through World War I, and practicing in Waupaca when he returned from the military. Another associate was Dr. A. L. Schemmer, the two working together in operating the Colby Clinic until Dr. Christofferson transferred his interest to Dr. Lehmer.
For many years Dr. Christofferson was the physician at the Clark County Hospital at Owen, and presently continues to fill that position. Dr. Christofferson has been actively involved in medial organizations as well as business and civic enterprises. When the telephone was introduced to the area, he invested money and management in the exchanges at Loyal, Spencer, Unity, Colby, and Withee. In association with W. J. Rush of Neillsville and C. H. Brown of Loyal he developed the telephone enterprise and finally sold to the Commonwealth.
Christofferson took a leading part in the organization and management of the Central Canning Company of Colby. In 1929 he bought the Ford garage in Colby, remodeled it and built a new addition to it. In 1939 he purchased a filling station, and continues the ownersship of the garage and station.
He also built a substantial interest in banking within Clark County, being president of the Citizens State Bank of Loyal and Granton; of the Curtiss State Bank of Curtiss and Owen, and of the Colby State Bank of Colby and Unity.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs