WI--Maple Grove Cheese Factory
Contact: Dorene Newman
----Source: Unity Township
MAPLE GROVE CHEESE FACTORY The Maple Grove Cheese Factory was located in the northwest corner of Section 14 in the Unity Township, adjacent to the Maplewood School. It was owned by various cheesemakers including Dick and George Meyer, Staley and Anderson. In the year of 1927 Mr. and Mrs. William Dehn purchased it from the bank. Farmers hauled their own milk to the cheese factory with horses. In the early 30's Dehn purchased a truck and hauled the milk for those farmers who wanted the service. In winter the roads were not plowed,- and this route was then done by horses and sleigh. In October 1933, a milk strike was on because of low prices. Local cheesemakers were deputized to protect their property. Mr. Dehn made cheese here until his death' on July 22, 1935. Mrs. Dehn, with the help of her family, Errol Huhn and Merlin Justman, continued the operation. In February of 1936, the cheese factory burned. The factory burned slow, and with the help of close neighbors, the cheese was carried to the Maplewood School in 30 below zero weather. The factory was not rebuilt. The house was not damaged and it continued to be the Dehn's, home until 1959 when it was sold. It is presently owned by the Roger Griepentrog family.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs