History: The Clark
County Press Locals Aug 1, 1874
----Source: The Clark County Press Date: Saturday, August 1, 1874
W. S. Payn has leased Lloyd’s blacksmith shop and will carry on a general blacksmith business. Mr. Payn is a good mechanic as any one may see by inspecting a card cutter he constructed for us, which is superior to any of the high-priced patent cutters that we have ever seen. He is also an excellent citizen whom we are glad to retain among us.
A large number of German families have recently come from Sheboygan county and settled in this. Most of them are seeking farms, and some of them desire to purchase good improved farms. Others are buying wild land which they intend to settle on and improve at once. We are told by those who have reached here that there is still a large number of Germans intending to remove from that county to this as soon as they can sell their places there. They are an enterprising and generally well-to-do class of citizens who are heartily welcomed.
Mr. Rawlinson’s Masonic skill is already to be admired in the new school house, the first story of which he has nearly completed. With material far inferior to what can be made in most places, he has laid a most beautiful wall is doing all his work in keeping with it. We are glad also to make a good report for Mr. Montgomery, who has added further to his good reputation in the wood work. Mr. Hewett has earned the good will of the community by placing the work in such good hands. He could not have done better were the building his own property
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs