History: Hendren--Willard Established (1905)
Contact: Helen Blaha
----Source: Fairchild Observer article reprinted in August 24, 1905 issue of THE LOYAL TRIBUNE
New Town to be Laid Out
N. C. and W. A. Foster have taken the Lumber Company's 10,000 acres of land lying northeast of Fairchild, in Clark county, and will plat and improve a townsite for a village to be known as Willard.
It will be laid out on a liberal plan, its location to be five miles beyond Tioga station towards Greenwood, and everything necessary to make it a live village will be done.
Big things may be looked for, not only in connection with this but other matters in the near future. A strip 10 rods wide either side of the F. & N. E. is to be completely cleared through the Foster lands, a road laid out and graded and section line roads pushed as far as the towns will aid. The road making will be so done as to make very 80 accessible, and much of the company property will have sufficient land cleared to permit of any settler putting up building. These lands will go on the market soon.
In addition, every foot of the F. & N. E. is being put in good order and an engineer will be on the ground in a few days to run the line for the extension of the road, and a force will be put on at once to grade it.
N. C. Foster visited Milwaukee and Chicago Friday and Saturday, looking up necessary matters, arranging for steel rails, etc.
In addition to these improvements some important plans are projected by others for developing adjacent territory, but the Observer is under promise to say nothing further until preliminaries are concluded. Sufficient to say, this section will commence an era of development another year that will mean much for Fairchild.--Fairchild Observer.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs