Bio: Lindow Family, Edward L.
Contact: Stan


----Source: Town of Fremont History - 1973

Lindow Family, Edward L.

One of the few farms in the Town of Fremont, Clark county, Wis. area still in family possession after 50 years is the 160 acres known as the Ed Lindow farm located one mile west and 3/4 mile south of Chili.

In Sept. of 1899 Louis Lindow and wife Mary (Luckow) located on a tract of 60 acres of timberland in Section 28. To this union eight children were born, namely Ida (Nebel), George, Alvin Samuel (deceased), Walter, Sarah (Leonhard) both of Phoenix, Ariz., and Edward and Lillie (Schlinsog) of Chili, Wis.

The first building was a three room log structure. In 1899 the present brick house was built as was the basement barn. In 1908 a 16 x 33 ft. silo was erected using flat rock, of which there was an abundance. The silo wall is two feet wide, mortared on both sides with air space in the center to prevent freezing.

In 1906 a schoolhouse was moved on the corner lot , on which is now the Marlyn Lindow residence. In later years the 80 acres across the road was purchased, part of which is now the Fremont Town Cemetery. During these years a frame church building was erected on the opposite corner from the school, which has been removed and is the forerunner of the present United Methodist Church in Chili.

In 1910 the 20 acres on the west side of the road lying next to the railroad track, known as the coal kilns, was purchased. Before this time soft coal was made here out of hardwood timber not used for logging purposes. About 1930 the railroad ran in a side track where sand, gravel, and cement was unloaded for use in paving Highway 10.

The farm was purchased by son Edward and wife Marion (Ure) in 1929, and other improvements have been made since that time. Their two daughters, Carol (Baumgartner) of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Ardith (Arbelovsky) of Kenai, Alaska, have departed for greener pastures, but Ed and Marion, with a little outside help, are still keeping the home farm green besides caring for a forty-plus dairy herd along with church and community activities.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel