Obit: Deutsch, Charles (1830 - 1913)
Surnames: DEUTSCH GOTTFRIED CHAMBERS
----Source: CLARK COUNTY REPUBLICAN & PRESS (Neillsville, Wis.) 11/06/1913
Deutsch, Charles (21 May 1830 - 3 Nov 1913)
Chas. Deutsch, one of Neillsville’s oldest and most widely known citizens died at his home on the North Side Monday night, Nov. 3, 1913, after a long illness. He was born near Worms on the Rhine in Germany, May 31, 1830. He took an active part in the Revolution when still very young, fighting as a soldier under Siegel and being severely wounded. He came to America soon after the Revolution and went to work in New York City at his trade, that of tailor, which he began as an apprentice when 14 years old. From New York he came west and worked in Michigan, Milwaukee and Chicago. He came to Neillsville, Clark County in May 1871, and for many years was one of the leading men in the tailor business. For the past 20 years he has continued to work constantly at his trade in his own home, when his health would permit.
He was married Sept. 19, 1871 to Wilhelmina Gottfried, who survives him. He leaves three children, Gustave of Friendship, Ferdinand of Plaza, N.D. and Mrs. Robert Chambers of this city. One son Edward died about nine years ago. He leaves also four grandchildren. Mr. Deutsch was a man of remarkably honest and upright character, doing his work with conscientious care and seeing that everyone with whom he did business got his just rights. He was a good husband and kind father, and a most excellent neighbor, as the writer can personally state, it having been our good fortune to be his near neighbor and personal friends for some years. Deceased was one of the oldest Free Masons in the local lodge, having joined the order before coming to Neillsville.
The funeral will be held at the home, the time for which not being fixed when this is written.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs