Obit: Bullard, Ernest E. (1881 - 1913)

Contact: Stan


----Source: BULLARD GRAY

----Source: CLARK COUNTY REPUBLICAN & PRESS (Neillsville, Wis.) 10/23/1913

Bullard, Ernest E. (Feb 1881 - 19 Oct 1913)

Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Bullard received a telegram from Rio Grande City, Texas, Sunday giving the sad news that their son Ernest E. Bullard had died from a gunshot wound. He was a cavalry man in the regular army, being a member of the famous "Fighting Fourteenth" that became noted for service in the Philippines. He had served in the army seven years and four months, re-enlisting twice. Part of the time playing in the band and later working as a horse-shoer.

Last June he expected to come home and visit his parents, whom he hadn’t seen for eleven years, but was unable to get a furlough. Both he and his parents were deeply disappointed at the time, and were looking forward to the time when he might be able to secure a furlough.

His regiment was stationed at Fort Reingold, Texas, having been sent there to watch the Mexican border immediately on arrival from Manila last Spring. Deceased was 32 years and eight months old.

He leaves to mourn his death his parents, two brothers, Fred and Harold and one sister, Mrs. Maude Gray. His remains will be brought here (Neillsville, Clark County)

(Follow on in 11/6/1913 Rep & Press) Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Bullard have been in suspense since the death of their son Ernest at Rio Grand City, Texas, Oct. 19th. A telegram from the Captain of the Company in which he was enlisted stated that he died of a gun shot wound, and asked if the parents wished to have the body sent home. An affirmative reply was telegraphed, and a later dispatch stated that it would be necessary to have the body embalmed. Numerous telegrams and letters brought no further reply from the captain and day after day the bereaved parents waited for the body to be sent or some particulars. Monday they received a letter stating that it would be some time before the body could be sent here, as it had to be sent a hundred miles to a licensed embalmer. It seems that Ernest was shot by a room-mate. The man was intoxicated and had been picking a quarrel with the men. Ernest got him quieted, and he went away, but returned shortly after and began shooting among the men. Two men besides Ernest were wounded. Ernest lived about four hours. The soldier who did the shooting is under arrest and will be tried for murder.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel