Obit: O’Neill, Andrew (1824 –1911)
Surnames: O’NEILL MCARTHUR SPARROWHAWK
----Source: CLARK COUNTY REPUBLICAN & PRESS (Neillsville, Wis.) 04/27/1911
O’Neill, Andrew (12 Mar 1824 - 21 Apr 1911)
Andrew O’Neill of Lisbon, St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., died at his home on the river road, April 21, 1911 at the age of eight-seven years. The funeral occurred last Sunday, Rev. E. L. Sanford, rector of St. John’s Episcopal Church of this city officiating. Interment was in the family cemetery on the home farm where the father and mother of the deceased are buried. The pall bearers were W. B. Livingstone, Frank Jones, Ward McCormick, Edward Dillingham, James Rearden and William H. Dawley.
Deceased was a son of Andrew and Jane O’Neill, who were the first settlers in the town of Lisbon. Andrew O’Neill, the elder, located on a farm on the bank of the St. Lawrence in 1798 and lived there until his death in 1840. His wife died in 1846. The son Andrew was born March 12, 1824, and resided on the old home farm until his death.
The old house, now nearly one hundred years old and the oldest structure in Lisbon, is still standing, being used as a custom house. The farm has been in the possession of the O’Neill family one hundred and thirteen years, covering portions of three centuries.
Andrew was the youngest of eight children, all the others are long since deceased. He leaves surviving a widow, Mrs. Catherine O’Neill, whose maiden name was Catherine McArthur, and three children, all of whom were with him when the end came. The eldest, James, graduated at Cornell, then at the Albany Law School, where he was a classmate of Judge John M. Kellogg of this city, was principal of the Ogdensburg Academy in 1870 to 1871, student in the office of Joseph McNaughton of this city and then practice law at Neillsville, Clark County, Wis. He is now serving his third term as Judge of the Circuit Court of Wis. Deceased leaves a daughter Mary J., who is the wife of Geo. W. Sparrowhawk of Lisbon, and son, William Henry, who with his wife, lives on and operates the home farm. Mr. O’Neill was an ardent republican in politics and took a deep interest in public affairs. He was a leader in his town and had been entrusted with a position of responsibility by its citizens. He interested himself also in educational matters. His home was upen to ministers and school teachers. He was all his life a member of the Episcopal Church and was active in building the stone church at what is called the Red Mills. He was a great reader, and in few farmer’s homes would one find a better library of the best books.
He was a man of the highest character and integrity. His record is one of honesty and fair dealing in all business affairs. His live was full of kindly deeds and charities and unselfish service. His neighbors sought his counsel and advice. The adjoining farms have been in the same families for a hundred years and it is said there never was a quarrel nor the slightest discord to disturb the friendly relations between the deceased and those with whom he so often came in contact. He was a peacemaker and dwelt among his fellows in perfect unity. And now at the end of a life, luminous in its loves and friendships, in duty faithfully performed, he ceased from his labors and "like ripe fruit, drops into his mother’s lap". His memory will long be cherished in the community where his life was spent and his example be an inspiration to those who shall appreciate his virtues.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs