School: Town of Lynn, Mayflower School
Lynn Township Plat Maps
Town of Lynn, Mayflower School
Surnames: BARTZ BIELKE BURR DOPP DUDEI ERICKSON FALK FERGUSON FLYNN GILBERT HARSHNER JENSEN JOHNSON KEUER KRAUSE LARSON MAZOLA PERSON POPPE QUALLEY SCHOEN SCHIELD SCHIER SCHMOLL SMITH STEINBACH TIMMLER WESENBERG WOLF WORCHELL YANKEE
The photo below (ca. 1920) was discovered beneath an antique picture I purchased from a shop in Marshfield, WI. Lorraine Markee identified it as the "Mayflower School" which was located in section 29 of Lynn Township, Clark Co., Wisconsin. The 1926 plat map shows the families of Porath, Weisner, Zille, Krause, Riedel, Struble, Alyea, Kubat Brauer and Goebel surrounding it.
The first schools in the southern part of the Town of Lynn were known as District 3, 5 and 6. District 3 school was located on County W, 2 miles south of Lynn where the Fred Wesenberg home is today. District 6 was located south of August Krause line fence. About 1920 these two schools joined together and built the Mayflower School, District No. 3. It was built on acre of land mile west of County W.
The Goldenrod or District 5 was located in Sec. 25 on the northwest corner of the property now owned by Lora and Eddie Jensen. The last three teachers were Carol Worchel, Mary Yankee and Musriel Burr. The last school year was 1941-42 when it consolidated with Mayflower. At this time over of the Lynn Township belonged to the Mayflower School District. The Goldenrod building was moved to Lindsey.
Teachers salaries in the late 1930's and early 40's ranged from $735.00 to $800.00. In 1939, Mrs. Anna Schier bid for the job of cleaning the school 9 times for $13. One dollar and ten cents a day or $22.00 a month was paid to individuals to transport the children to school.
Some of the teachers at Goldenrod were Mable Gilbert, Clara Poppe, Leilah Dopp, Mabel Harshner, Edna Keuer, Nellie Johnson and Gretchen Ferguson.
Teachers at Mayflower included Mary Steinbach, Esther Bartz, Rosa Schraen, Miss Norma Schmoll, Helen Braatz, Miss Edna Keuer, Loretta Schield (Smith), Maxine Falk, Esther Ferguson, Ruth Bielke and Alice Flynn in 1945-46 the year in which electricity was installed. Also teaching were Pauline Larson, Mrs. Alyce Qualley, Mrs. Person, Belle Mazola, Vesta Erickson, Ed Timmler and Mrs. Evelyn Dudei.
Consolidation resulted in the joining of the Granton Public Schools in 1961. Board members at that time were Vernon Smith, William Wolf and Vera Wesenberg.
----Source: Granton Community Memories 1856-1976
If you can tell us the exact time frame of this photo or indentify any of the individuals, please respond. We have estimated the year to be about 1920 and have positively identified:
#4. Leona Kleinschmidt--Teacher (Mrs. W. J. Cormey)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs