History: Fremont, Lynn and Grant
Fremont, Lynn and Grant, "The Townships - Political Beginnings" (to 1870)
Surnames: ALLEN KINTZELE RENNE WAGE
The early history of our area before permanent settlers arrived was one of Indians and the fur trade under the French first, then the English, and finally the U. S. after 1815. The American Fur company dominated the fur trade in its final years. A treaty was made with the Winnebagos in 1837 ceding their lands to the U. S. They nominally owned roughly the territory east of the Black River and south of Township 25 (York). This area does not seem to have been opened to homesteading before the early 1850's. There were few settlers before 1860. The Town of Lynn was organized on March 21, 1862 but it consisted of what is Fremont, Lynn and Grant. They met at the home of John D. Wage. In 1868 Grant was detached and made a separate town.
In 1874 Fremont was created. All of the early deeds are not an accurate record of the dates the land was settled as it was not until July 5, 1864 that land titles were regularly recorded by the Register of Deeds. This area was surveyed much later. Hiram Renne was one of the very early surveyors. Perhaps this accounts for the fact that he owned so much land in very early times. In the Town of York John Kintzele did much more detailed (sections and forty lines) surveying after his arrival in 1883. The Clark County administration consisted of various officers and a 3 man board of commissioners in its earliest days. Charles Renne was the representative from Weston. In 1869 - 70 Harmon Allen was selected. In 1870 the County Board system was begun.
----Source: Granton Community Memories 1856-1976
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs